This past Sunday at church, a dear friend excitedly shook my hand and simply said…”It’s almost here”. That was all that needed to be said. Opening Day is almost here. He happens to be a jubilant Cubs fan (He has carry over joy) and has waited patiently for the new campaign to begin. We all have the teams we live and die with, but as we approach baseball season, all that matters is that we are BASEBALL fans. We are all connected by the exuberance of Opening Day. As the season quickly fades into the first week, our focus will realign with our allegiance and our team fandom will matter again. But, right now, we head toward our special day as a baseball starved horde that needs the game to return.
Nothing Else Matters…Just Opening Day
- Stress on the job…Opening Day…it’s almost here.
- School got you down…Opening Day…it’s almost here.
- Car has the shakes…Opening Day…it’s almost here.
- Nor’easter Stella…Opening Day…it’s almost here.
- Significant other doesn’t quite get it…Opening Day…it’s almost here.
- Money woes…Opening Day…it’s almost here.
- Democrat…Opening Day…it’s almost here.
- Republican…Opening Day…it’s almost here.
- Other…Opening Day…it’s almost here.
- Email hacked…Opening Day…it’s almost here.
- Cracked phone screen…Opening Day…It’s almost here.
- No phone screen…Opening Day…It’s almost here.
- No Phone…Opening Day…It’s almost here.
I always seem to come across the following excerpt of literary genius at the end of the baseball season when the chill rains come and we face the fall alone. Not this year. As baseball season approaches let us enjoy the part of the writing that references spring and summer because if we were to take a snapshot right now…that is where we are.
“It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone.” (A Great and Glorious Game: Baseball Writings of A. Bartlett Giamatti)
Join me on Twitter. You can follow me here!